The importance in raising your kids to love health

        I remember when I first became a diabetic and peoples first response was �omg I would die without pop and candy in my life� when in my mind I�m thinking �I never even had that stuff in my house�� Yes my mom raised us with no pop or junk food in the house. No she didn�t leave strict rules with us that we could never have sugar, we just grew up with out it in our house and still to this day I reflects on my life. We also grew up and knew that momma was up at 5 a.m. every morning running long miles or training for some kind of marathon or race. So healthy living was kind of just a thing that came natural. Don�t get me wrong as a kid I LOVED going to birthday parties  and eating cake and ice cream. I loved when we would have holiday parties at school and i could eat an unlimited amount of candy. But it defiantly was not something I got on the daily which really made me appreciate those fun parties. And yes I do have foggy flashbacks of feeling horrible after all that candy.

Little did my mom know her youngest daughter (me) would be diagnosed with type one diabetes at the age 11 and sugar would no longer be acceptable. And boy was I glad she raised us to eat healthy and workout! And whats funny is she didn�t even realize she was RAISING us this way she just did it herself and was our biggest remodel in life so that's what we saw and what we did. pretty cool huh??? After having two kids myself it is the one thing I want them to see in me. I want them to know its important and I also want them to have fun with it and include them in my workout. Sometimes we walk to the park, take the dog on a walk, ride bikes, play in the yard. 

One thing I also realized growing up is no, we didn�t have a lot of money. There were 5 of us my parents were raising and yes we had a roof to live under, an awesome God, and always had a full belly. But we never spent unnecessary money on high dollar toys. One thing we NEVER had was video games, computer games etc. we had our legs and if we were bored we would go play outside. I notice kids will sit and play for hours on their video games getting NO exercise in their day. No not all video games are bad and no I�m not against them�. I just feel like if you are going to buy them for your children there should be a time limit on them. You have no clue how important it is to teach and raise your kids to know what healthy living is. It could prevent obesity, heart attacks, type 2 diabetes, and possibly their life in their future. It IS important!!!!!!!




EmoticonEmoticon